10 Apr 2013

If I could believe in utopia, it would be a utopia of free movement, a perpetual assertion of self-determined existence in space and time. But I cannot believe in utopia, so I believe in movement attained through and limited by struggle, tension, anxiety and the assertion of my personal power against the power of the earth, against gravity and death.

I cannot believe in utopia, because utopia insists on an absolute consensus among people, and such a consensus cancels the individual's power to assert his and her presence in the world. Consensus is an ally of gravity. It is in fact a form of gravity that slowly and insidiously disables individuals and makes them impotent before the relentless claims of gravity and death. I declare war on consensus.

Lebbeus Woods, 'Aerial Paris' in ANARCHITECTURE: Architecture is a Political Act (Academy Editions, 1992) p. 64

No comments:

Post a Comment